Sunday, June 28, 2009

Many Challenges, Many Themes

Let's begin with themes. The Apple logo symbolizes simplicity and health. Remember the slogan, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away?" Perhaps you don't, that was a long time ago. But, nevertheless it is true. Five years ago I planned to record music using a Mac-based system. Once that I became acquainted with Yamaha_01x, then I immediately had dreams of LogicStudio because 01x is hardwired to work with Logic, and it does. I've had other recording rigs in my life, but nothing as substantial as what I am playing with now. And, I am glad that I have quality hearing. Because many days [and nights] I am producing high-quality crap. Engineering your songwriting skills whether it be using a large diaphragm condenser (LDC) microphone or dialing in the correct type of digital signal processing (DSP)and adjusting its parameters to correct or improve upon your original signal [is, in itself] a major undertaking. Some days it appears that I get lucky and I am right in the groove. Other times, it is obvious that I am a newbie recording engineer and have much to learn. All in all, I am very pleased with the Apple MacBook in my recording rig.

Since taking extra time in deciding upon which near-field reference monitors that I would purchase, added an additional month delay to installing these and performing the initial audio tests to determine how much acoustic treatment and soundproofing will be necessary. Luckily, the general area here is fairly dampened. The ceiling will need some damping and I will need to dampen some of the lower wood panels to deflect the subwoofer from rattling 25 year old wood. Additionally, I need to purchase some wood-working tools to create parts needed to mount a heavy-duty scissor-boom mic stand to the studio table. The original mount failed the test of time. Other than that, I am excited to play the new 12-string once it arrives. I hope it does not require too much setup. So, July is looking like an improved month for music with the month of August being an official production-mode period of time.



Thus far the Yamaha MOTIF_XS is carrying its weight as my main multi-timbral keyboard synthesizer. Also, there are some voices in my Korg_i3 that I plan to use when recording specific songs, and the i3 has some really nice MIDI rhythms that I will probably use right out of the box. The MOTIF_XS has an awesome vocoder built-in and I am trying it both in live setups as well as recording. Once the new vocal processor is here, I can mix the vocoder into that device as well. This is amazing sounding audio gear and a lot of fun to play with.

The real challenge in harnessing this level of audio gear, is having songs to record. [which I do] So it is my hope that by August, I can get started recording a 70's pop song that I wrote, called, "I Still Miss You". We shall see.

HHN