Wednesday, September 23, 2009

NASAV_studios - New Additions

Welcome home AW4416 - I've been waiting for you!



Well! It comes with no surprise to me, that I finally purchased a Yamaha AW4416. Along side my 01X this is a major plus, especially using its "automix" function. The basic design of the AW is a 24-input mixer, feeding a 16-track hard disk recorder, followed by a 16-channel monitoring mixer, all feeding a stereo bus. But, there's more. Besides it's on board studio-class DSP and FX processors, the 4416 has 2 I/O slots which can be fitted with 4-XLR, 8-TRS, 8-channel ADAT and Waves_Y56K.



The Waves Y56K shown above is one of the aforementioned I/O upgrades that I purchased for my 4416. This is serious FX processing power both for world-class effects and studio mastering.

SERIOUS DSP HORSEPOWER!
The Y56K utilizes two 120 MHz 56300 DSPs providing up to 2 billion DSP operations per second! The card supports 20 L1 processes and up to 8 chains of effects. Y56K also supplies 8-channels of ADAT lightpipe I/O which can be utilized for transfering WAV files directly to any ADAT-equipped computer. The Waves Y56K world-famous effects include:

+ Renaissance Compressor and EQ

+ TrueVerb reverb

+ L1 Ultramaximizer

+ SuperTap delay and DeEsser

These processors are all available in addition to the AW4416's on board DSP which utilize 48-bit internal precision on a 24-bit I/O. What does this mean? It means the quality is astounding! This is the identical DSP hardware that has been used in recording studios worldwide. Waves has become so popular, it has integrated into ProTools TDM and also sold as standalone plugins for PC and Mac DAW's. But, wait there's more! The Y56K also has a 9-pin serial port. There are 3 additional plugin effects which can be downloaded and transferred into the Y56K using a USB-to-9-pin serial transfer cable. The Y56K also supports snapshot automation, meaning the DSP and FX settings are all "total recall" just like my 01X automated mixer. Meaning, after hours of making adjustments and getting things right, if I get a headache and lose a week, I can return to the studio and presto! everything instantly returns to exactly where I left off! This is wonderful!

Hot dang! This is VERY exciting!

HHNET