Friday, June 27, 2008

Changing DAWs

When I first dove into DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) I had skimmed over one called Reaper. At the time, Tracktion [made by Raw and marketed by Mackie] grabbed my interest with it's "one screen" simplicity. Also, at the time, I was able to jack my Yamaha O1X and get up to speed rapidly. And, in the beginning, this really excited me because the sonic capabilities of both my O1X and the MOTIF_XS are so astounding, I was just glad to start recording in the 24-bit digital domain.

Well, it didn't take time for me to mature. I spent the better part of the past year learning how to use the O1X and MOTIF and came to the conclusion that I would save my money and go with OS_X and Logic. Bear in mind, Logic 7 using O1X is by some standards considered, "old technology" but what grabbed my attention is that Logic, "was the only DAW out of the box" that supported every button, knob and switch on the O1X. Currently I am in that "saving $$$ mode" and yes I will be moving entirely to OS_X and for good reason.

Meanwhile, I am going to try out a new .DLL for O1X and Reaper. The Reaper DAW only costs $50 dollars for a license. The DAW is totally skinable to your liking. Although I am not much of a skinner, I already found a couple skins that grabbed my interest. Using "Deric's" DLL for Reaper breathes total functionality of the O1X into Reaper.

This may sound like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo so I will rephrase in simpler terms. A guy programmed, from scratch, specific Mackie Control codes so every control surface function of the Yamaha_O1X is totally compatible using Reaper. Additionally, this talented programmer added a slew of additional control features that go beyond the scope of what Logic, Cubase and other DAWs are capable of, using O1X.

So now I'm actually back to the idea of dedicating my 30" inch LCD (1280x1024) just for NASAV_Studios. I've been trying some new setups this past week. Whereas space is limited in this 27 foot RV, you gotta be real creative when it comes to how you setup recording equipment, mics and keyboards. But, I got something that is working for the time being.

I definitely will be blogging my progress with Reaper and O1X.

;;cheers;;