Saturday, April 25, 2009

NASAV_studios Construction • ETA JUL 4

For those of you whom have been following any of my progress with regards to constructing the project studio in the motor home, you’re probably tired of hearing that it [still] is not complete.

This venture became much more complicated than I had first imagined. And not because of unknown aspects of creating such a thing, but rather the dynamics of setting up an real, professional, workable production environment where I can write, record, mix and master music specifically with CD replication in mind. In other words, to produce a record album.

Before I scramble over some of the details surrounding the remainder of the work to be done, I would love to announce that today I installed a high-quality air filtration system by Hunter. My initial idea was to combat dust and dirt from getting into the new PCs, Macs and recording gear. Now that the filtration system has been running for about 9 hours, I can assuredly say that the air quality in the motor home is now 1000% better than before. This RV always tended to be a bit stuffy because we have most windows closed. If we want fresh air, the large bedroom window provides plenty as does the main entrance screened door. However, with every window and dome closed, with no air conditioning running, the air is “nearly” as fresh as sitting outside in the forest. I noticed this improvement within 2 hours of turning the filtration systems on.

Okay, back to the studio construction process where things are becoming somewhat easier now that much of the hard work is out of the way. Here are some of the remaining aspects of this project:

• Routing cables, setting up microphones, stands and filters. Creating various pieces of wood that are used for mounting blocks, anti-skid surfaces and table stabilizers. Also, I found a much better quality spring-boom that needs ordering.

• Setting up and configuring the mixing console, routing cables.The mixing console is still on hold due to customization rising up through the table. And, until the mixer is hot, meaning connected to the computer and processing audio and MIDI data, there is no recording.

• Speaker monitors and subwoofers are still to come. I am still wanting Yamaha HS80Ms, but space may dictate HS50Ms. Why haven’t I decided yet? Well… “according to the scale drawings”,
I should purchase the 50Ms. But, I rearranged a bit and I would really prefer the 80Ms for their mid-range capability.

• After several months of deliberate contemplation, I have chosen to purchase a white, polycarbonate 13-inch MacBook. This notebook will rest on a notebook stand on the studio table where I will output its video to the 30-inch LCD which stands directly in front of the Yamaha MOTIF_XS workstation. For remote jobs, the MacBook will accompany the Yamaha_01X mixer inside its airline luggage-ware. And at this stage of the process I don’t know whether I will end up living in Logic_Studio_8 or Cubase_5.

• As excited as I am to get my new vocal processor, it’s actually good timing that the manufacturer, TC-Helicon, won’t be releasing the VoiceLive_2 until MAY 2009. This was a feather in my cap. Because when I begin recording, I have every intention to begin with MOTIF_XS, microphone and VoiceLive2. So until the VL2 unit becomes available, I am not recording anyhow.

• Last but not least, I do plan to be recording live 12-string guitar parts in my recordings so after much shopping I have chosen to try the Ibanez AEL2012. I’ve blogged a little about this guitar before, but can’t remember if I said I had purchased it.

Due to health complications I am having, everything I blog about doing constantly gets interrupted, which adds to the time of completion. I am currently almost 5 months beyond my original date of completion. NOTE: simply purchasing equipment and setting them up on stands and tables is one thing. But, doing this in less than a 8x8 feet of space, while maintaining daily, necessary walking space, along with daily necessary seating and living, regardless of whether music is getting recorded or not, is very challenging. But, when this project studio is complete, it will be most rewarding to spend time at because I bought quality gear capable of exceeding my audio quality expectations.

At this time, I am not sure how much multimedia I will be showing the public when the studio is done. Perhaps a small website, maybe just a picture slide-show or short video. I don’t know ( I D K ). A lot now is timing and bolting down, screwing in and tying up.

Meanwhile [as I have said this before] the MOTIF_XS workstation allows me to practice and sketch musical ideas and arrangements in a very musically-friendly environment. The MOTIF is simply pleasure to one’s ears. Even when playing for fun and practicing, the MOTIF has the musical prowess to draw emotional tears. For me, this tells me I am working with the right gear.

Next report I hope to be touting about the Yamaha_01X mixing console is up and running – which means RECORDING.

;;cheers;;