Tuesday, May 19, 2009

QY100 - Let There Be Light

Hello. I’m a very happy camper finally finding a Yamaha QY100 that is backlit. Sure, if you’re an electronics wizard I don’t see this as being too difficult to do. But since that is not my forte, [in itself]finding one of these gems was an amazing adventure. Shown below is a typical QY100 that is NOT backlit.



Shown below [in a darkened area] is the same QY100 shown above, but my machine has a built-in backlight. I am very jazzed about finding this genuine, fun and creative musical instrument!

For now I won’t bore you with the specs of this 24-track sequencer, but what turns me on are the 4,285 phrases in this machine.




There are a myriad of ways to construct music besides turning on a recorder and playing guitar and singing. Today’s music construction tools include using computers with very sophisticated recording software including virtual instrument. Additionally there are dedicated machines such as the QY100 which can also be used portably to create songs and patterns when that moment of inspiration smacks you in the face while having coffee at Starbucks. There’s more. Extremely complicated and high quality digital audio workstation keyboards like the MOTIF_XS easily create loops and patterns. You can record linear songs, import samples from CD and include in your sequencer tracks, and then there are 6,000 arpeggios at your disposal.

phrase.0014.051809.mp3

Take a listen to the short phrase clip. See what you think. It may not sound like much but this music was a bunch of junk_MIDI data when it first was ported to the MOTIF. First I had to sort out an XG_MIDI issue between the QY and the MOTIF. Then choosing the right instruments for each part, although fun, was time consuming even though the MOTIF makes this process very easy with category search. Then on to making EQ adjustments, adjusting verb and chorus helped too; a little bit of panning helped the arrangement settle down in the mix.

I was proud of this first try. Take 3 phrases, slap them together and then paint-by-number using the MOTIF’s colorful palette of instrument samples. Also let me say, the MOTIF_XS’s 16-track MIXER is really cool. I find myself spending more time using the mixer as I do using my 01X mixer with Cubase. It really nice to compose music on the board, and on the fly, make mixing adjustments right as you are constructing your music. Usually, this is a post-production process where you would mix down everything later. On the MOTIF many times I don’t have to remix my music because I got a great recording within the 1st 5 takes or less, mixed and adjusted it there and now its ready to be a part of the arrangement. To frost the cake, all of this can still be easily shuttled into Cubase or Logic where high quality studio plugins for mastering can be applied to further enhance the dynamic range of the mix. The music clip above is a first take recording that was remixed several times, but only recorded one time, and with no further DSP enhancements added to the original instruments. Not bad ;;smile;;

;;cheers;;