Thursday, January 22, 2009

MOTIF_XS - True Workstation Production

Since purchasing my Yamaha MOTIF_XS workstation, I've mostly enjoyed it's internal digital sounds. I've spent some time learning pattern mode and its onboard mixing capabilities and although I utilize its sampling functions, I wasn't using the XS as a total solution.



Having this synth jacked into the O1X automated digital mixer makes life a joy and I got distracted for over a year learning that combination. Now, I have turned my attention to JUST the XS. Although it appears to seem a little clumbsy here and there, the XS is very capable in every department of the recording process, whether it be creating loops and patterns that will make up song parts, or recording vocals straight into the XS via the TC-Helicon vocal processor. Making good use of the onboard 16-track mixer makes sample/resample a breeze. It took me awhile to understand that, in order to use the XS totally as a standalone recording unit, first you must lay down a click-track or record at least one instrument BEFORE you begin sample recording and doing multitrack recording using its onboard 16-track sequencer/recorder/mixer.

It's fair to say, using the XS with 01X is, "more fun" because the 01X automates so many aspects of the recording process and it is very interactive. Whereas using the XS without a computer or the 01X is a different way to do business. All settings are total recall, but the faders are not motorized, a small price to pay for true standalone capability.



I like the idea of sitting down at the piano [per se] and completely working right there. No computer, no mixer, no monitors. Just put on my head-mic, headphones and get to work. I am toying around trying different variations of templates that I can begin a recording session with, thus saving time and getting the recording process going. Whereas my new studio monitors are not here yet, I thought this would be a great time to test the XS in standalone mode to see how it really does. So far, I am very impressed; to the point that I may construct and produce some material solely using the XS.

Who knows, perhaps I will adopt to a new style of constructing audio, music and songs. After all these years of research and finally spending thousands of dollars, most of what I've been wanting to accomplish can be done using one piece of equipment. Very impressive.

Demo's? Yes, snippets are coming soon. I'm also in the middle of constructing a new website for my music. I would also like this to coincide with my new YouTube area, so managing all of this takes time since I am wearing all of the hats.

It's great looking to the left of the RV and seeing dedicated recording space and having at least my minimal gear up and running. Along with that, this here PC will soon be getting a KVM switch to toggle between PC and Xbox360 mode, to save some strain of using the overhead 30_inch flat panel just to play games.

Life is good.

;;cheers;;