Saturday, March 22, 2008

NASAV Studios™ Update

The 1GB RAM (2-512MB DIMM) is ordered for the MOTIF XS and I can't wait to jack my microphones and Takamine AE12-string guitar into the MOTIF's 24-bit, 16-track sampler. Also, I am very excited to pipe vocals into the TC-Helicon vocal processor BEFORE it hits the MOTIF. This allows me to shuttle my voice and up to 5 harmony parts with effects, before pumping all of this into the MOTIF. The XS can sample while monitoring, making "overdubs" a snap in real time. Everything on the MOTIF is done in real time ;;grin;; For me, the real genius is working exclusively at the keyboard WITHOUT the need to sit at a computer during recording sessions. Eventually, the MOTIF mix will get shuttled into Cubase4 or Tracktion3 via LAN or Yamaha mLAN. You read correctly. The entire recording session can be transferred using ethernet 10/100 LAN and the Yamaha mLAN (1394). I use both LANs for different reasons, which perhaps at a later time I will explain their usage. Meanwhile, the Yamaha O1X is show-boating and managing the entire digital domain while storing every technical setting, so when I come back to the mixer 3 days later after a screaming headache, I've got, "total recall" including mixer automation, rotary encoding and motorized fader positions. Finally, the mix ends up in Cubase or Trackion where again the O1X runs the show and treats the session to more tracks. At this point, I'm working more vocal tracks or arranging additional instrumentals. Many times, after I shoot a mix from the MOTIF to the O1X, I will polish things up and prepare for final mixing using some sweet Yamaha plugs. This is where a song gets embellished, cleaned up, mixed, mastered and burned to CDR along with OGG and MP3 formats for web distro.

Be on the lookout Q4 2008 through Q2 2009. HappyHarryNET_TV will be shooting live video during recording sessions at NASAV Studios™ and publishing the videos, audio clips and photos at these websites:

• HappyHarryNET
• NASAV Studios
• YouTube
• Click and Listen
• MySpace
• SoundClick
• Flickr

I am already enjoying the spacial improvements inside the NASAV RV thanks to the renovations needed to begin the NASAV Studios™ construction. This is a true, "win-win" situation.

;;cheers;;